Kristy and I ventured off to the doctors today for another appointment. On the way, we had what’s become a familiar and frequent conversation; the “what do you think it’s going to be?” one. Then inevitably, the question of name comes up. I’m stuck. I can think of a bunch of girl names I like but not so much with the boy. I often chose to opt-out of the conversation. Since the gender is unknown, the conversation is pointless…until today.
In case your wondering what you’re looking at, just look in the middle. Those are two legs and a…yup. You guessed it. No shame in his game.
While it’s fun to think about having another baby, when I found out that it was a boy, it immediately felt different than with Savannah. Here’s why:
- He’ll learn what being a man means from me, and sometimes it won’t be by what I say
- He’ll watch and learn of my weaknesses; which will give him the desire to be different and better, but not in a “dad you suck” kind of way
- His perspective of God, the ultimate “Father” will be molded by me, his earthly father
- His drive and ambition will be directed by what he sees in me…even when I work late into the evening
- His love and respect for women will be developed by how I respect, love and cherish both Kristy and Savannah; nobody else will have more influence regarding this, than me
- What’s important to me, will be important to him … even I don’t see it until he’s 32
- Finally, my branch of the Chowning name will live on another generation
January 17, 2009, here we come!