One of the best parts about having a “smart phone” like a Palm Treo Centro is that they offer the ability to take your contacts and calendar on the go. Like most gadgets, the power of these tools are in the functions that aren’t obvious when you take them out of the box. So if you have one of those sexy new Treo’s and your still trying to figure out how to magically get your calendar updated without having to plug in a cord, then this post is for you.
- Palm Treo device—tonight, I setup my wife’s red Centro
- iCal – your desktop calendar
- USB Sync Cable
- Missing Sync or Palm Desktop & Hotsync Manager
- Google Calendar account
- BusySync ($25) – Software that syncs your iCal with Google
- GooSync ($Free) – the software that will sync your Palm with Google
Obviously, syncing your Treo with iCal requires an investment of time and money in order to make this work. This alone will help you determine how important keeping your phone and computer in sync is.
The below steps will assume that you have already downloaded and installed each software.
Google Calendar Setup
- In Google Calendar, add a new calendar
- Importing the “google.ics” calendar from your desktop
- Import the contents into your default Google Calendar; for example, I’ll call it “Kyle”
- Open BusySync in your System Preferences
- Click on “Google” (ignoring General, Publish and Subscribe)
- Click on “Settings” and add your Google user name and password. Leave the remaining settings as default.
- Select the Google Calendar (on the right pane) that you want to subscribe to; this will cause the calendar “Kyle” to display in iCal. This is now your default iCal calendar.
- Delete your previous iCal calendar; remember you already made a backup
- Select the iCal calendars (on the left pane) that you want to publish to Google Calendars; this is not necessary to sync your phone unless you want to sync more than one calendar, ie: personal and business
- Press the “Sync Now” button on the bottom right
You are now publishing your iCals to Google automatically. Any changes made on iCal or Google Calendars will automatically sync to reflect in both locations.
- Open www.goosync.com and go to your “Home” tab
- Click to “Add Device”
- Download the Palm OS Client Software and install; directions are provided on download page
- Click on “Connections” and Authenticate your Google settings with your username and password
- Click “Home” and under “Google Calendar” select “Customise”
- Now displaying your Google calendars, make sure that the “Kyle” calendar has read/write capabilities as indicated by the icon and that the check boxes for “Sync” and are selected
- For advance users, check out the tags/categories function. This is how you sync multiple calendars
- If you’re interested in syncing more than the default past/future appointments, you can change the default settings under “Sync Window.”
You are now ready to setup your Palm Treo for bi-directional syncing.
Palm Treo Setup
- Locate the GooSync application under your Treo’s “All” screen
- To alter the settings of this profile tap the Menu icon on your PDA and then select “Options Settings…” from the menu that appears (see screen shot below)
- The “User” and “Password” settings must be set to the same log-in details that you use for your GooSync.com account (these may not be the same as your Google Calendar account).
- Click on “Calendar sync options” and setup the software to sync on a regular interval. This will ensure that changes made on your Treo and computer are syncing regularly.
Any calendar changes made on your Treo will now be published on Google Calendar and thus iCal, vice versa.
If you’ve followed the above steps, you should now be syncing beautifully between your Treo > Google > iCal. Have fun!