Struggling in your job, business or pursuit of “the dream,” is common. In fact, I would tell you, it’s necessary. Oftentimes, we view the struggle negatively, or as if it is a consequence for a decision we made along the way. While that may be true, the fact is, struggles give us an opportunity to make a choice:
Resent it or face it optimistically.
Struggles are real. I know, because as a 7x business owner and an employee for other people’s entrepreneurial dreams, I’ve experienced each of them too. The good news is that after over 23 years of work experience, I’m finally starting to see each struggle as a challenge, not as an obstacle that can’t be crossed.
Below, you’ll find a list of 10 common struggles that business owners and employees go through. Regardless of who you are, or what role you play, you’ll identify with most, if not all of them.
Reading a list of struggles isn’t meant to commiserate together, but to ask ourselves, “How could we view them differently? How can we face these challenges and the many others, with optimism?”
10 Ways Small Businesses Struggle & How to Fix Them
- Your target market isn’t clearly defined so we try to sell to everyone. Define your primary and secondary target market (here’s a post on this) first, then go after them relentlessly.
- You are working hard but on the verge of burnout. Find ways to delegate, like hiring a Virtual Assistant through VirtualStaffFinder.com (I did).
- You’re spending, and wasting, too much time on repetitive tasks. Use a software like Infusionsoft to automate everything you can. (affiliate link)
- You are regularly losing track of incoming, high-quality leads. Use a CRM (Customer relationship management) tool to track and follow up with leads. Infusionsoft does this very well.
- There aren’t clear processes and protocols because it’s all in your head. This is a fast track to creating customer inconsistency, which leads to distrust in your brand. Create the policies, procedures and processes, then ensure that your entire staff is crystal clear on them.
- There are too many prospect clients and not enough time in the day to follow-up with them all AND do your daily work. Marketing automation is the only solution to this. Again, Infusionsoft.
- You’re spending money to market, but there’s no clear Return on Investment for the money spent. Essentially, you’re wasting dollars and living on hope. It won’t work—in the long run anyway. Tracking each channel of marketing and doing the calculation of cost vs revenue, is the only way to know that you’re doing the right thing.
- You act out of a fear of failure, rather than the desire for success. This is one of the main reasons why I started the #MiracleMornings routine. Every day, I read to myself, “I choose to act out of a desire for, rather than the fear of.” It really does make a difference.
- You stop learning. Carving out time to continue the learning process will ensure that you stay current, but more importantly, you’re able to take advantage of new innovations in your market, which will make your job and business run smoother. Nothing is sacred. Everything is up for reconsideration. [Tweet “Nothing is sacred. Everything is up for reconsideration.”]
- You go at it alone. This is a death trap for business owners. The only solution I have for you is to either find or start a Mastermind group. This is a group of like-minded businessmen or women, who are driven to win—just like you.
Questions for you:
Are you interested in learning more about marketing automation, Miracle Morning’s or joining a Mastermind?
If yes, Click Here to let me know. I’m thinking about writing on those topics more, but only if you’re interested.